Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Windows On Windows - Discord server idea

Got a suggestion for improvement for a current or future episode or series? Share it here. This is also the place to post suggestions about the forum or other aspects of the Windows On Windows® brand.
feandesign
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: XP/7

Windows On Windows - Discord server idea

Postby feandesign » August 27th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Hello! I've had an idea - what do you think of our community Discord server?

If you don't know what is Discord: this is 100% free communicator, similar to Skype or TeamSpeak - this is a mix of those programs, but with more options and features that were made better than in Skype or TS!
For example:
- Text and Voice channels (voice ones have users limit and password protection options)
- Roles (you can customize them as much permissions as you want)
- Bots (there are many bots in Discord community, such as fun or music)
- Web version
- Game overlay
and much more!
Do you like that idea? Post below!
http://www.discordapp.com

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Re: Windows On Windows - Discord server idea

Postby alexandru_c » August 27th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Not for me... it's enough Skype for me, I don't use TeamSpeak and I don't like the way a TeamSpeak server gets done (I tested one on a VPS, pain, just pain with the master key, the VPS is dead already anyway).
Back on track: Right now the forum is enough for most of us (my opinion) since we can also talk here (not a voice talk, but I don't think that everyone would want to talk with his voice there) and we don't have to worry that if somehow someone can stole our name and suddenly start a talk with someone and manage to get you in trouble.. (let me explain: you from the forum, don't register your name there, your friend, want to get you in trouble, so he stole your name there, then, he start to talk very bad with some random forum user from there, then, that forum user contact you on forum about what's happening and refuse to trust you or even worse, blocks and reports you, not nice...)
Oh, also, the forum is easy to work with on almost every device (including old devices too - like a symbian or java device - ), discord would limit us to a few platforms... (before I upgraded my phone I was using it without any problems for Opera Mobile on iOS 6 because Safari was crashing on me when opening it - thanks weird jailbreak bug - and it was running fast, even on 3G...)
- I'm on a hackintosh right now, not a qe/ci fully working one, if I have to open a page like discord or niresh's forum, my safari will stop working or freeze all my other tabs (forcing me to reload all of them) ... the OS X version isn't helpful at all since I think that it has some web browser embedded in the application which will be worser than the Safari experience, Spotify does things like that too and it's a pain to use it, so it's there on my desktop just to be there, for no reason; also, for me, a new application which does the same thing as another one I have already installed that doesn't require that much power from my computer will not be well welcome on my machine, even if I had the power to run it without affecting my other tasks -
But as I said before, it's my opinion...
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

feandesign
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0

Postby feandesign » August 27th, 2016, 11:12 pm

It's okay m8.

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Postby alexandru_c » August 27th, 2016, 11:38 pm

feandesign wrote:It's okay m8.

Well, it's not... This is not ok:
This is what an embedded browser in an OS X app does on my build:

This is what niresh's forum does on my build: (youtube can also freeze the whole browser if it wants when I'm going into fullscreen mode CMD+Q "fixes" it)

So, if a HTML5 player and some javascripts can make the browser do those things, an always refreshing chat page with audio always enabled too can do more, also, web.skype.com sometime (but rare) do the same thing as niresh's forum, but because it's not audio enabled (max sounds it can do are: none, no audio from it) page and it doesn't keep it's content "always up to date" it doesn't do a big damage, also web.skype.com thinks I'm on IE 10 on NT 6.2 x64 thanks to "needed to use this page due to outdated browser" user agent, so, that reduces some weird things it has to do to make all the functions (like calls and notifications) to work.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

MS-GIL
Windows® 95
Windows® 95
Favourite Windows® development process: Whistler
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Postby MS-GIL » August 29th, 2016, 7:27 pm

alexandru_c wrote:

This is what niresh's forum does on my build: (youtube can also freeze the whole browser if it wants when I'm going into fullscreen mode CMD+Q "fixes" it)

So, if a HTML5 player and some javascripts can make the browser do those things, an always refreshing chat page with audio always enabled too can do more, also, web.skype.com sometime (but rare) do the same thing as niresh's forum, but because it's not audio enabled (max sounds it can do are: none, no audio from it) page and it doesn't keep it's content "always up to date" it doesn't do a big damage, also web.skype.com thinks I'm on IE 10 on NT 6.2 x64 thanks to "needed to use this page due to outdated browser" user agent, so, that reduces some weird things it has to do to make all the functions (like calls and notifications) to work.

Those are definitely very broken.
ImageCheck out my YouTube channel! Just search MS-GIL on YouTube!

nedvire
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn Pre & Post-reset
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 8 (Not 8.1)

Postby nedvire » August 29th, 2016, 7:34 pm

alexandru_c wrote:

*cut*

*cut*

VIRUSES OMG!!!!1!!111

Real question now: what macOS version are you running and what in the world are you running it on?
PowerPoint Simulators - Longhorn - 8.1

Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn!
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Postby Spriteclad » September 2nd, 2016, 6:03 pm

I'd honestly be super-fine with a Discord chat. I use Discord a LOT, so I'd totally be up for modding it.

nedvire
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn Pre & Post-reset
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 8 (Not 8.1)

Postby nedvire » September 3rd, 2016, 1:14 am

Spriteclad wrote:I'd honestly be super-fine with a Discord chat. I use Discord a LOT, so I'd totally be up for modding it.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, it's not required and it's mostly to just chat about stuff. We still have PMs, they're going nowhere.
PowerPoint Simulators - Longhorn - 8.1

feandesign
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0

Postby feandesign » September 11th, 2016, 10:24 am

Splitwirez
Windows® 95
Windows® 95
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista/Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: WinLH 4039, Win8 7850, Win8.1 9600 (w/ mods)

Postby Splitwirez » February 13th, 2017, 2:31 am

So wait is this dead
ImageImage

Return to “Suggestions Box”